A black hole is an object so dense that not even light can escape its gravitational pull. So how could you ever take a picture of one? It seemed impossible, but on April 10th, 2019, scientists from the Event Horizon Telescope, led by astronomer Shep Doeleman, announced that they’d done just that. Their image of the photons circling a supermassive black hole in the galaxy Messier 87 will revolutionize our understanding of the universe—and move the dial on what’s considered impossible.
– Produced by Brandon Royal and Mandi Gorenstein
– Edited by Josh Zimmerman
– Music by APM
– SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel and “ring the bell” for all the latest videos from WSF
– VISIT our Website: www.worldsciencefestival.com
– LIKE us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival
– FOLLOW us on Twitter: twitter.com/WorldSciFest