With the power of math, scientists are going even further, using equations to “look” inside black holes, peering at the central singularity where general relativity and quantum mechanics collide.
PARTICIPANTS: Cumrun Vafa
MODERATOR: Brian Greene
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: www.worldsciencefestival.com/programs/darkness-visible-shedding-new-light-black-holes/
This program is part of the BIG IDEAS SERIES, made possible with support from the JOHN TEMPLETON FOUNDATION.
– SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel and “ring the bell” for all the latest videos from WSF
– VISIT our Website: www.worldsciencefestival.com
– LIKE us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival
– FOLLOW us on Twitter: twitter.com/WorldSciFest
0:01 – Explanation of the concept of entropy
5:03 – Cumrun Vafa intro
6:06 – The puzzle of entropy in black holes
10:25 – Measuring black hole entropy
13:08 – Problems with Hawking’s argument
15:20 – Explanation of string theory and how it describes a black hole
22:05 – The puzzle of Hawking radiation
28:03 – What happens at the center of a black hole?
– Produced by John Plummer
– Associate Produced by Laura Dattaro
– Animation/Editing by Josh Zimmerman
– Music provided by APM
– Additional images and footage provided by: Getty Images, Shutterstock, Videoblocks
This program was recorded live at the 2018 World Science Festival and has been edited and condensed for YouTube.
Watch the full unedited program here: youtu.be/3JE_KMfuEWk