You exist. You shouldn’t. Stars and galaxies and planets exist. They shouldn’t. The nascent universe contained equal parts matter and antimatter that should have instantly obliterated each other, turning the Big Bang into the Big Fizzle. And yet, here we are: flesh, blood, stars, moons, sky. Why? Come join us as we dive deep down the rabbit hole of solving the mystery of the missing antimatter.
MODERATOR: Brian Greene
PARTICIPANTS: Marcela Carena, Janet Conrad, Michael Doser, Hitoshi Murayama, Neil Turok
OPENING FILM: Animation by Eoin Duffy of Studio Belly, written by Justin Weinstein and Brian Greene
MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: www.worldsciencefestival.com/programs/matter-antimatter-answering-cosmic-riddle-existence/
This program is part of the Big Ideas Series which is supported in part by the John Templeton Foundation.
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel for all the latest from WSF
VISIT our Website: www.worldsciencefestival.com/
LIKE us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival
FOLLOW us on Twitter: twitter.com/WorldSciFest
– The Discovery of Antimatter opening film 00:00
– Brian Greene Introduction 04:00
– Participant Introductions 04:54
– What led Paul Dirac to his thinking? 07:25
– Can we create Antimatter? 22:25
– How does the universe create matter and antimatter and yet there is still matter left around us? 29:42
– Using Neutrinos to detect Antimatter 44:55
– The difference in Neutrinos compared to Antimatter 56:30
– Searching for hints of how to prove the Grand Unified theory 01:10:10
– Drowning in theories 01:22:00
– The applications for Antimatter 01:33:01
Filmed live at the 2018 World Science festival.